This page was CREATED and MODIFIED with CSB on computer with Windows 7
RESULTS OF TESTS SO FAR:
I have successfully tested files and have been able to add pages, insert text, insert image, add code, even add the CSB5 graphical buttons that several people reported as broken in Vista. I will continue to test other options, but so far so good!
The following instructions were written for Windows 7(all versions) but will also work with Vista and XP also.
You can only run one version of the program on your computer.
PREPARATION FOR CSB INSTALLATION:
TLX files are your website design files. Make sure all of them are put into your MY DOCUMENTS folder and no where near the program files folder (or a subfolder of it). You must save all your TLX design files. If you lose these, you lose your website! [make backup copies of this file as you work!] The file extension is shown at the end of the file name in your Explorer window if your computer setting allows it. You can not run your TLX design files from a CD/DVD/BlueRay Disk. You must put that file on your new computer to work with it.
DOWNLOAD a copy of the CSB installation file here if you do not have it: cutesitebuilder Get only the version you have a serial number for! The file has a 30 day trial and will expire without the serial number.
FIND YOUR CURRENT SERIAL NUMBER! You will find the information under the HELP ABOUT section of CSB. Take a screenprint of it. You may also have an email from Globalscape with the serial number. This number will be used in the new installation of CSB.
HOSTS are stored in the registry and will be lost when you uninstall the program, or missing when you move to a new machine.
If you have a machine with CSB on it, Choose File, Publish Web Site, Options, Host Setup tab, click Modify.
Take screen prints and/or write down your hosting settings so you can put them into CSB5. You must have a user name, password, site name and address, and ftp folder (if your hosts use it). You can check with your host if you don't remember the password.
MUST BE IN IN AN ACCOUNT WITH ADMINISTRATOR PRIVLEGES TO INSTALL THIS PROGRAM!
INSTALL the program (CSB 4 OR CSB 5) on the computer using the normal settings.
HOSTS CAN BE HANDLED IN TWO DIFFERENT WAYS: do either A) or B)
A) QUICKLY, ALL AT ONE TIME?
If you still have the old software/old machine available, you can save your HOST/FTP settings and move all of them at one time!
Don (known as Turtle on the discussion board) has come up with a way to SAVE your HOST settings and bring them into the new version of CSB!
This method only takes a couple minutes to do, saving a LOT of time and effort. This is OPTIONAL and not required to use CSB.
If you do not do this, you will need to manually enter each host on the new machine.
NOTE: This involves the Windows Registry, a vital component of your computer system. Use this instruction for advanced users at your own risk.
IT IS EASY AND YOU CAN DO IT!
1) If you have only one host and you have all your settings then you can SKIP this section!
2) If you have a screenprint or documentation for a couple hosts and don't mind reinputting each individually, then you can SKIP the host export if you want!
3) If you deal with several sites and find the task of inputting the hosts a pain in the neck, then the host export comes in quite handy.
4) If you have MANY sites, MANY hosts that you need access (even only once in a while) to maintain or tweak as necessary, then having the host export is a gift! Lots of us have MANY sites, use MANY hosts and the time that is saved by the export is AMAZING. It takes longer to write this than to import all my hosts several times over!
The steps that Turtle outlined in this post are still exactly correct.
To make it clearer for some folks, the instruction has been expanded. (his statements shown in purple):
On the old xp machine:
- First you go into your WINDOWS REGISTRY FILES go to start > run > regedit
- Turtle recommends a full export of everything to export all to a folder as a backup
- Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\GlobalSCAPE\CuteSITE Builder 3.0\WPProviders\OtherHost
- Now export only the folder that has your host information in it: "right click OtherHost and select EXPORT to the same folder using a file name like csb other hosts" This saves only the one folder not the whole registry. You can close the registry editor for now.
NOTE: that if you ever use ADD & REMOVE programs in your computer's control panel to uninstall your current version of CSB. remove csb. This uninstalling takes OUT the REGISTRY folder that holds all your host information that you exported from the registry. Your host data is gone along with the rest of CSB program files!
On the new windows 7 machine:
- If you have more than one user account on your machine, please LOG INTO whichever user account you will be using to run CSB, even if it does not have administrator priveleges. (I use a standard account for day-to-day work and only use the admin account for updating/installing so infections will do less damage (XP Read this, WINDOWS 7 Read this If you are logged on as an administrator of a local computer, a Trojan horse could reformat your hard drive, delete your files, and create a new user account with administrative access.)
- Now go back into the WINDOWS REGISTRY go back to regedit (go to start > run > regedit).
- I like to do another full registry backup at this point. export ALL to a folder as a complete registry backup.
- Now you can put the host information back into the registry again and file import. When you ask to file import, it will ask you to find the file to import so browse to and select the file called csb Other hosts. Windows knows where to put the information and it DOES go into the correct place, even in Windows 7!
- When you are done, the WINDOWS REGISTRY will recognize the new CSB program AND your all your old hosts!
Two minutes vs potential of tedious time with input, after input, after input, after input, after input....
NOTE: if you install the csb Other hosts Won the wrong user account, leave it there. You can put it into each user if you want since Globescape item appears in the registry for every user. Just make sure it is in the user account that will actually NEED the info.
B) IF YOU DO NOT USE THE QUICK METHOD, YOU WILL NEED TO ENTER ALL YOUR HOSTS MANUALLY.
NOTE: If you do not have screen prints, emails, or notes with the FTP information available, contact the WebHost for information/settings!
When you open the new CSB and work with it, you will not be able to publish your website until you define a new host in CSB using either:
1) FILE > CONFIGURE WEBSITE WIZARD
2) PUBLISH WEBSITE > OPTIONS, ADD A SITE.
HELP FILE will not work yet. It depends on a small program called winhlp32.exe to work. It does not come with Vista or 7. Microsoft considers the winhlp32.exe as no longer meeting their standards. This will disable EVERY HELP FILE for EVERY PROGRAM that depended on windows to have winhlp32.exe program installed. EASY FIX. Click the HELP and Windows 7 prompts you to download the file to your computer. You MUST be in an account with administrator priveleges to install it. Once it is in you can work as usual in CSB! (This step is NOT needed for XP installations, but IS REQUIRED for Vista and Windows 7!)
PREVIEW will work but can be improved with Windows 7 with a simple change inside your tlx design file!. In publishing options, check the box for Local HTML folder and choose one in your DOCUMENTS folder. I use a folder called WEBPREVIEW so it is easy to find the files if I need them. This step is necessary for publishing as Vista can not preview without this step! Preview your file. Then you MUST UNCHECK this box for ongoing editing and publishing. Leaving it checked can cause problems. (This step is OPTIONAL for XP installations, but IS RECOMMENDED for Windows 7 and is REQUIRED for Vista!)
FRAMES setting should be the same as when you last edited. I recommend you check your setting before you publish.
Edit and publish like normal!